Printers for sublimation

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

fromdaalps

Printers for sublimation

Post by fromdaalps »

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. What a great resource! Thanks to all who have contributed.

Here's my question that I couldn't find an answer via forum searches: Can anyone recommend a good printer for sublimation printing onto PBT topsheets? I've seen some professional wide-format models that retail for $10K upwards, so I wanted to see if anyone can potentially recommend a smaller and cheaper model for sublimation printing.

Thanks so much in advance,

Tim
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Hey Tim,

I'm not a sublimation expert but I've heard that some of the lower costs Epsons (1280, r1800) can handle the sublimation inks. They also support roller feed paper so you can do a full length print of your ski/board. Of course you'll need some kind of heat press to transfer the inks onto your topsheet. Last time I checked the Epson 1280's were going for pretty cheap on Ebay (about $100). You should really double check the whole sublimation process before buying a printer though. Let us know how it turns out because I'm really interested in sublimating my graphics as well.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hi Tim,

You might try a search at the grafsnowboards.com forum. I've read some pretty good discussions there in the last year, or so, on dye sub printers. As littleKam has indicated, the smaller Epsons will work, but many people who have tried using them report that they are very difficult to get working correctly.

G-man
team08

Post by team08 »

I own an Epson 4000 and can say it is like owning an Audi, a real love/hate relationship. The inks will clog, and you waste a ton cleaning the heads, and the ink is about $1600 for all 8 220mL cartriges. But being able to print graphics in house is GREAT! littleKam is right too that the biggest thing is the heat press. The "real" presses for this size application start at over $10,000. I built my own and it works well, but its time consuming to get it right, and not cheap.
skicore

Post by skicore »

I own an Epson 4800 and it works well. Team8 is right, inks are expensive ($1500 for a full set), I have not had any clogging issues (knock on wood). I've build my own flatbed sublimation press as well. It wasn't cheap, but definatly cheaper than ones you can buy and it works great. If you build one use a hi temp silicone sponge layer(med density) on the bottom of the press to help distriubute the pressure evenly. Pressure has to be perfectly even for sublimation. It took me awhile to dial that in.
beansnow

Post by beansnow »

that'd be awesome to be able to sublimate on our own. You dont need that much pressure right? How did you make yours? Most of the retail ones jsut seem to use leverage. Did you use a silicone heating blanket?
skicore

Post by skicore »

Mine uses a pneumatic bladder (like the ski presses) and a beefy cat-track made of 2"x3" aluminum tubing. A heat blanket is sandwiched between two sheets of 1/8" 6061 aluminum and is attached to the cat-track. The heat controller unit should be at least a 20amp 220volt system, thus a 4400watt blanket.

The most important things are 1) that there is no air gaps between the topsheet and the transfer paper when pressing (Even a gap the size of a human hair will produce a poor transfer) and 2) you have even heat ( Make the heat blanket the total size of the area you wish to sublimate.) I've found that placing the topsheet on a hi temp silicione sponge layer eliminates any air gap problems. High pressure is not too important, but it can help reduce any minor air gap imperfections. I press at about 15-20psi in the bladder.

A cheap(er) intoduction into sublimating is to use a small (9"x12" or so) t-shirt transfer press and a smaller epson printer like the 1280. You can make logo size sublimations with this for only about $300-$500 invested. The 1280 is not great for full length prints unless you know how to hack the software to make it print sheets longer than 44". (I don't know how to do that but some have done it) It works for logos and small images though.
fromdaalps

Post by fromdaalps »

I've done a little more digging on this and one option, if you're considering larger scale production is to buy the Epson 7800, because you can buy ink in bulk. However, with the increased up front costs, the payoff for decreased consumables cost is quite far out. I think most of us aren't looking for major production that would make this idea worth it.

Regarding the presses, for what it's worth, the cheapest model that will fit a ski up to about 185 cm is a 64"x40" flat model that can be had for just over $10K for one-sided heat. Chump change, right? ;-) Anyone with experience or access to this kind of press?

Another option is roller presses, but I believe that's complicated with non-fabric materials. If anyone has more info on what a good press option may be, I'd be interested. Also, I'd be curious what kind of presses professional ski manufacturers use.

Best,

Tim
skicore

Post by skicore »

They make refillable cartridges/bulk in sytems for the Epson 4800 too. Check out: http://www.sublimationink.net/bulksystemspecial-SF.html

All the smaller factories I know use custom built flatbed presses. I'm not sure what brands the big big factories use. Durasurf uses roller presses for their in-house sublimation, Russ is their in-house guy .