Expert forum: base, sidewall and tip/tail spacer material

This is like an attic, a place to keep stuff we don't want to throw away, but at the same time don't want to see regularly...

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

Expert forum: base, sidewall and tip/tail spacer material

Post by bigKam »

Hi everyone.

It's my pleasure to solicit questions related to base, sidewall and tip/tail spacer material. An expert at Crown Plastics is willing to answer our questions, so post them on this thread. I will collect and compile the questions in a few weeks time, forward them to the expert, and finally post the answers here.

Cheers,
kam
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

Why is it when you cut base material, it warps and changes shape? What is the best way to reduce or prevent this warping?

schuss
SCHÜSS 2011
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

Why use UHMW type sidewall material versus the ABS that ISO Sport sells? What are the differences in bonding and strength?
team08

Post by team08 »

What is the best way to prep the surface for bonding, and how does Durasurf do it (I have NEVER had a problem with surfaces prepped by Durasurf)?

I have a ton of scrap left over, are there recyclers of the raw material?
Idris

Post by Idris »

SCHÜSS wrote:Why is it when you cut base material, it warps and changes shape? What is the best way to reduce or prevent this warping?

schuss
Why does durasurf do this and PTex (GuritAG) does not. I have no experience with Isospeed (Isosport) but I haven't heard of any problems either.
endre

Post by endre »

Idris wrote:
SCHÜSS wrote:Why is it when you cut base material, it warps and changes shape? What is the best way to reduce or prevent this warping?

schuss
Why does durasurf do this and PTex (GuritAG) does not. I have no experience with Isospeed (Isosport) but I haven't heard of any problems either.
P-tex definately warps. One roll I got 2 years ago is twisting like a boa every time.
Idris

Post by Idris »

endre wrote:
P-tex definately warps. One roll I got 2 years ago is twisting like a boa every time.
I stand corrected
endre

Post by endre »

What is the difference between Crown plastics, IMS and Gurit's UHMWPE density scales?

is Durasurf 4001 = P-Tex 4000 = Isospeed 4000?

In that case, strange that Isosport don't mention a 2000 grade..

How is density of UHMWPE measured, and can it be measured in a cheap way, f.ex is it possible to find out if an unmarked base is 2000 or 4000?
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

Besides the commonly used ones, what other materials are suitable for usage as base materials?
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
splat

Post by splat »

I have some really old FIS skis that have laquer bases. ;)

I used Crown materials for two years without them warping after profiling, then this past season every roll I got from them warped after cutting. I'm kind of dying to see this question answered by Crown.
team08

Post by team08 »

Do they have any tips/suggestions for die cutting? I have used a shot press but it moves too slow to get a clean cut. It tends to stretch the material first and then cut, so the resulting shapes don't fit well together. I now have access to a clicker press and it works better, but still, the shapes don't fit as well as I would like. Do they have any recommendations on the type of rule to use?
Cadman

Crown Plastics Experts

Post by Cadman »

Kam, what happened to the response from Crown Plastics on these issues?
Just curious.
bigKam
Site Admin

Re: Crown Plastics Experts

Post by bigKam »

Cadman wrote:Kam, what happened to the response from Crown Plastics on these issues?
Just curious.
still waiting. i'll let you know ASAP.
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

I take it that these guys at Crown are only interested in filling K2's orders.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

i'm going to archive this thread because it doesn't appear that we're going to get our questions answered. but if and when they do get answered, i'll updat this thread accordingly.

thanks again for your patience.