Ski design help

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Noza

Ski design help

Post by Noza »

Hi guys, this is my fist time on the forum, great site, great infomation.

I am building my 1st set of skis for Australian and New Zealand snow conditions.
dimensions
length- 160cms
tip - 120mm approx
centre - 70mm approx
tail - 112mm approx
mid thickness 13mm
Core - Wood maple

Question - for the Aust and NZ conditions, what would be the best lay up for the skis. eg, fibre glass layers? carbon? or Kevlar? Any suggestions on positioning of layers? I noticed most on the forum are riding soft wide powder skis. I will be sking on all terrain club fields in NZ, unsure for the width of ski, how many layers of fibreglass, or carbon or kevlar i should consider for the NZ conditions.
Thanks. NOZA
[/b]
Idris

Post by Idris »

First go around I'd go for one layer of triax fiberglass (or bi+uni to make up tri as I had to) above and one below. You can adjust your core profile to make the stiffness you want.

For the club fields. I'd go for relatively straight, relatively stiff and 80-90mm underfoot.

If you have the engineering ability an aluminum sandwich (will thinner glass) would be very durable. Thats why the old volkl Explosive is such a tough ski. You can't realy get a core shot, you jsut expose the sub base and the rocks stop there. (wouldn't try this first time around though)

Best of luck
Noza

Post by Noza »

Idris wrote:First go around I'd go for one layer of triax fiberglass (or bi+uni to make up tri as I had to) above and one below. You can adjust your core profile to make the stiffness you want.

For the club fields. I'd go for relatively straight, relatively stiff and 80-90mm underfoot.

If you have the engineering ability an aluminum sandwich (will thinner glass) would be very durable. Thats why the old volkl Explosive is such a tough ski. You can't realy get a core shot, you jsut expose the sub base and the rocks stop there. (wouldn't try this first time around though)

Best of luck
Thanks for the help. Noza