Edge Dimensions

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

krp8128

Edge Dimensions

Post by krp8128 »

Ok, I'm in the final design stages, hopefully next weekend I will be at my parents to make up some templates and some cores.

I know that i must rout a recess into the edge of my core for the edges to sit in. My current thinking is that I also need to undersize my base to compensate for the edges. For example. if I want a 114mm finished tip, then my base must be cut at something like 111.34mm.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the edges sold here? I am assuming that the 1.33mm is the width of the actual edge. What about the thickness of the tabs?
Idris

Post by Idris »

There are a few different edge profiles, not sure on them, but others wilkl chime in on this one.

As for routing for tabs, depends on your layup and pressing method how critical this is. To avoid doing this (I use 2 layers of uni and biax to make tri anyway) I make my first glass layer between the edge tabs. the thickness of the glass is more or less the same as my edge tabs, I'm pressing with vacuum so no much pressure. The result is a flat base.

At PMGear we pressed with 60-100psi with normaly one layer of glass below the core. Routing for the tbs was critical or we got a concave base. to get the correct depth of cut was trial and error. A short section of edge and scrap wood. Adjust back and forth till perfect was my method.