Question for Vacuum Baggers

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gabe

Question for Vacuum Baggers

Post by Gabe »

I'm getting ready to build my vacuum press, but I have a few questions.

How are you all heating the press?

I'm looking for an inexpensive option, and not a silicon blanket just yet. I was thinking about laying heating pads on top, and then wrapping the entire mold with a heating blanket. My concern is that It will not get all that hot. Another option is to lay some dark material on it and let the sun heat it up (I will be pressing outside).

About camber.

I am designing a ski that will have very minimal camber. I have been told that fiberglass shrinks when it cures with resin. As a result, if there are more layers of Fiber on top of the core, it will flatten out the ski, and vise-versa if more layers on the bottom. Have any of you observed this?

-Gabe
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

I'm not using any artificial heat. My garage is 140 with the door closed. With the shop pumping AC heat into it thats even more.

I have a shed I can do the same thing with.
Consider using mother natures heating elements.

I'm also going to try the air mattress/old car press too, but the vac setup will probably be the first

If you can do that.. by far thats the cheapest
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
hafte

Post by hafte »

I use some 6 mil plastic hung low over a pole That drapes to the ground. (How's that for describing a tent?) I close the ends with spring clamps and put a couple of small space heaters in with that. I make sure the heaters blow towards the plastic to reduce the hot spots. I can maintain 60-80 deg F in the winter with the tent 7' high and can drive the temp up to 120 if it is pinched down lower. You have to make sure the heaters take in cold air or they shut down too much.

G-man had a good idea with a heat lamp and an insulated box. Seems like you could get high enough temp to use QCM epoxies effectively

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=704

I have yet to make the box. Maybe this fall.

I use an ambient cure epoxy (resin research) that likes a 120 deg post cure.

In the summer a little green house effect would work great and only cost a few $.
Gabe

Post by Gabe »

Thanks for the Info, I think that I'm going to build an infrared oven like G-man did.
Idris

Post by Idris »

Yup, Skis tend to camber towards the side with more glass in a heated press vs not when in unheated.

175 degree F (70-100psi) there is a noticable difference afer cooling

70 degree F (12psi) no difference
Alex

Post by Alex »

Some thougths about heating:

The main reason for the ski companies to use heat is to get the ski quick out of the press to produce as many skis in a given time as possible.

We've got time - so heating for fast curing is not really necessary. What we want to achieve is a stronger epoxy matrix. For this purpose it is not neccessary to hot harden the epoxy - tempering can be done after initial curing (in the first 24-48 hours). So why not pressing with room temperature for the initial curing and then putting the ski into a simple temperbox?