heat blankets

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

madclimber03

heat blankets

Post by madclimber03 »

So as i get closer and closer to pressing my first pair of skis i keep finding more and more things that need to be done. I have been talking to some of the guys at Sun Valley Ski Tools or SVST and they have been telling me that a heat blanket of some kind is a necessity to get all of the air bubbles out. Is this true, do i need a heat blanket to make good quality skis with a pneumatic press or can i get by with out it? If i need one does anyone know a web site that carries heat blanket? Last, can anyone show me some examples of their heat blankets. Thanks a lot Scott
endre

Post by endre »

No you don't need a heat blanket, and heat has got nothing to do with air bubbles (or it does, but in opposite direction. If you apply too much heat too slow, the epoxy can start to boil before it cures, boiling makes bubbles) Heat is mainly to make the epoxy harden faster. You can also heat cure the ski after it has hardened, and achieve a similar quality as with a heat blanket (it just takes longer time to press)
madclimber03

heat blanket

Post by madclimber03 »

If heat isn't that big of a deal than is there any certain epoxy that works better in a cold press than a hot press?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Madclimber,
There was a recent post on this very subject about what type of epoxy do people use. Check into it for more information. As for me I use Westsystem with out any problems (as far as epoxy is concerned). I have pressed w/o heat and have pressed and placed the whole press into a heated room. Both way have showed no signs of problems as far as epoxy.
Good Luck,
rickaukum
ed

Post by ed »

Heat is often good when laying up composites to soften the epoxy resin and to allow it to flow through the materials more easily. Ast the resin chemically sets applying heat to it does allow the resin to set faster, but it's not the main intention.