Pine cores, pine sidewalls??

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

o2bjedi

Pine cores, pine sidewalls??

Post by o2bjedi »

Hello everyone.
I haven't had the time in a while to build a pair in a while, my press has been sitting in the garage waiting to put a ski together.
The type of design I have layed out is a fat freeride ski. 125/100/125 at 177 in length. Maybe with a moderately soft flex.
Anyway, I have a lot of pine 2x6 boards laying around and I thought of making a simple freeride/powder ski with pine core/sidewalls. I don't want to complicate it too much by bringing in a hardwood or ABS for the sidewalls. Maybe to compensate for the sw area using extra fiberglass sheets or carbon fiber above and/or above the edges would help to strengthen those areas. Since I live in Minnesota and powder isn't a abundance, the type of snow conditions are icier than soft so edge hold is rather important. I really want to stick to using pine. Am I crazy? Suggestions would be fantastic!

Thanks
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I used doug fir (pine) for my last skis. Looks cool and low cost. I know there are others out there that have done this and have skied them. Hopefully they will post also. I am excited to try them on the snow but still early. Here is a pic:
Holymountain

Post by Holymountain »

Pine is a good idea, i've done two fat ski (140 110 130) in 195cm lenth
and they are very strong ( three layer of carbon under, two on the top and one steel sheet on the top too).
For the side wall I put some carbon, I think it's necessary to put something to evitate water to enter in the core.

Some people try just puting epoxy on the side wall but I never try.

Good future work...
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

Thanks for the tips and suggestions! I am still a bit concerned about the strength of the ski. Would a third layer of 22oz glass help to add strength? Or maybe adding a few thin carbon strips above the sidewalls?
Holymountain

Post by Holymountain »

Shure if you add a third layer your ski will become more strong, but a carbon strip on the sidewall, I think, don't do anything just protect it.

You could see my ski there with carbon sidewall,

http://www.skipass.com/carnets/carnet.p ... 1&art=4272

(sorry it's in french)

After two years I have no problem with the side wall or ski damage (just a problem with the binding)

So I hope I answers your question but I think there is many other solution, just see in the forum...
Holymountain

Post by Holymountain »

Shure if you add a third layer your ski will become more strong, but a carbon strip on the sidewall, I think, don't do anything just protect it.

You could see my ski there with carbon sidewall,

http://www.skipass.com/carnets/carnet.p ... 1&art=4272

(sorry it's in french)

After two years I have no problem with the side wall or ski damage (just a problem with the binding)

So I hope I answers your question but I think there is many other solution, just see in the forum...
Greg

Post by Greg »

For the sidewalls, I have found that painting leftover epoxy on the sidewall works pretty well. What I do is wait to treat the sidewall until I am laying up another pair of skis. Then, I use the leftover epoxy and just paint it onto the sidewall. The epoxy protects the sidewall really well, and it is incredibly durable. I have also tried a couple layers of polyurethane, which works really well as well. With polyurethane, you will have to re-paint the sidewalls every so often, but it is a lot easier to do than trying to get an even layer using epoxy.