All Mountain Snowboard for Hard Boots

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mark

Post by mark »

Bag check.

In the bag.

Yup, laying up and bagging on the conference table. 8)

Hell yeah!
G-man

Post by G-man »

Looks like you didn't do your research... we said kitchen table, not conference table. ;)

Great work. Can't wait to see it unwrapped.

G-man
mark

Post by mark »

Dude! My heart jumped into my throat when I read the first line of your post! :oops: :D
breid19

Post by breid19 »

Mark,

Very nice setup!!!! I've got a few questions for you.

1. What thickness of aluminum did you use? Did you permently attach the aluminum (glue)?
2. is there any hardboard, etc. below the aluminum
3. Did the breather (red stuff in photo) leave any indents on your board. I am used to using the white fluffy stuff but the last time I ordered they sent me the red stuff but I was worried it would leave imprints.
3. Did you have any problems putting the whole mold into the bag? did you need any help.

Thanks

bill
mark

Post by mark »

breid19 wrote:Mark,

Very nice setup!!!! I've got a few questions for you.

1. What thickness of aluminum did you use? Did you permently attach the aluminum (glue)?
2. is there any hardboard, etc. below the aluminum
3. Did the breather (red stuff in photo) leave any indents on your board. I am used to using the white fluffy stuff but the last time I ordered they sent me the red stuff but I was worried it would leave imprints.
3. Did you have any problems putting the whole mold into the bag? did you need any help.

Thanks

bill
Thanks man.

Took me a second to figure out what aluminum you were talking about. :D
It's not aluminum, it's formica countertop laminate (aluminum color, and I forgot to wax it :oops: ). Nothing below it. I was just very careful with the surface of my camber mold. I skimmed the mold with joint compound and sanded it as well. If I make another mold, I'll most likely skim it with bondo.
I expect the breather will leave a fish scale like pattern. I'm not worried about it, in fact, it may become my trade mark. ;) I'll try to get you a good photo of it when it's out of the bag.
Sliding the mold in the bag is easy! I put a piece of mdf in the bottom of the bag first to slide it in on top of. I did the lay up with one end of the mold set just on the edge of the mdf piece and the other on a saw horse. I layed up the board, put on a peel-ply, the red "breather", and then a sheet of builders plastic tapped just at the end going into the bag first. My friend held the bag open while I slid the mold in. Seal up the end and it's done. With all the extra bag, it finds it's way on to the mold and conforms very nicely.

-Mark
mattman

Post by mattman »

what kind of bagging material is that? it seems to conform very well...is it stretchlon?
mark

Post by mark »

mattman wrote:what kind of bagging material is that? it seems to conform very well...is it stretchlon?
Urethane,.....Hot, nasty, thick @$$ urethane,..... and plenty of it!

Here's the other stuff I used:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ion+Medium

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ase+Fabric

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... piral+Wrap

Check out the video. It's pretty sweet. I've been trying to figure out a way to bag a snowboard like that.
breid19

Post by breid19 »

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems that you use a "moving" tail mold. How did you get the transition between camber mold and tail mold smooth. Did you use joint compound to even things out.

thanks

Bill
mark

Post by mark »

I just tapered the block down to nothing. It's a little delicate, but it made the main part of the mold easy and fool-proof. How well it worked remains to be seen. It's just the tail, I'm not concerned with how pretty or smooth it is, so long as epoxy didn't pool there and create a wierd weak spot.
mattman

Post by mattman »

did you vacuum infuse your board??? I have always thought about doing that with longboards but was worried about wasting lots of resin in the process.
mark

Post by mark »

No, but I'd like to figure out how to. I guess you could do a traditional layup on the bottom and infuse the top.

The tail block worked great by the way. the transition is totaly smooth. The Formica worked realy well too. I just trimmed a few spots where the glass lapped over the side of the mold and with minimal effort, lifted the board right off. No wax or release agent whatsoever. The base looks so good that the only reason to grind it is to match the edges to it and put some structure on it!

The only thing I'm concerned about at this point is weather or not the top glass wetted out properly. It's cloudyer than I thought it would be.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I figure out where I put my camera. Wait till you see the tip and tail. I transitioned to cap construction for them and they came out way, way better than I had hoped! :D
mark

Post by mark »

dg

Post by dg »

wow - looks great - do you think that sanding and lacquering your topsheet might make it less cloudy ?
mark

Post by mark »

Yeah. some of the cloudyness is from the rough texture left by the peel ply. I'm about to hot-coat it tonight (a-la surfboard glassing) and then plan to poly it after it's tuned.
mark

Post by mark »

The hot coat worked well.

I know I should have waited a few more days before doing this, but I just couldn't resist. :D