nylon stockinete

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

o2bjedi

nylon stockinete

Post by o2bjedi »

Hey everyone. Yesturday I was sitting and thinking and I thought of a great way to achieve a 360 core wrap. Nylon stockinete.
I'm a student in the prosthetics/orthotics field and we use nylon stockinete to laminate prosthesis all the time, resulting, in a prosthesis with strong/durable yet slightly flexible characteristics.
What about wrapping a core with the material? It would conform very well, but i'm not sure if it would add too much strength. Has anybody tried this before? It might be worth a try when I laminate my skis.
tonyt

Re: nylon stockinete

Post by tonyt »

o2bjedi wrote:Hey everyone. Yesturday I was sitting and thinking and I thought of a great way to achieve a 360 core wrap. Nylon stockinete.
You are right I don't think it would add much strength, but why not use a fiberglass or carbon sleeve which are readily available and would make a good core wrap becuase they are all +/- 45 degree laminates which are good for torsional rigidity. They are quite easy to use as well you could hand lay them up or vacuum them for a lighter ski. I have used them for making tubes for various applications. If you check outsollerpaddles.com there is information on pricing and using the sleeves.

Tony
PS I couldn't figure out how to include a link though!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Here is the link.........http://www.sollerpaddles.com/composites ... html#Zylon

I haven't really been able to determine in laymans term what weight carbon fiber would be similar in strength to a standard weight of fiberglass. I.E. would a 6 oz carbon fiber weave have the same strength properties of a 20 oz triax glass weave. Are there any comparison charts anywhere, or a general rule of thumb. Is the "colored carbon fiber" any stronger than the glass is before the aluminum coating? Does the aluminum coating provide any sort of dampening properties?

thanks for the link.
tonyt

Post by tonyt »

Comparing strength of laminates is not simple but here goes:

The strength of the laminate is directly related to the direction of the fibres so you need to only try and compare similar constructions. Comparing a trixial fabric to a biaxial is very difficult because the biaxial fabric has transverse strength and the triaxial has only a limited strength transversely because 2/3 of it runs in the diagonal directions.
The glass is about 1/3rd the stiffness of carbon so you need to put about 3 times the material if you use glass but it is important that the amount of material running in the primary strength direction is the one that you are comparing.

In your example an 18oz triax assuming equal distribution of fibres (not always the case) would have 6oz of longitudinal fibre so it would compare in strength, longitudinally, to a 4oz biaxial carbon fabric which would have 2oz in the primary direction. Even this is pretty rough though as the way the carbon is woven can effect the stiffness. It is really easy to overdo the stiffness with carbon. I have a pair of carbon homebuilt powder skis that are stiffer than any race stock ski I've ever seen. There are a number of spreadsheets out there including one that Bambi wrote and I made a revision to allow different materials and thicknesses that are useful for comparing strengths. Let me know if want a copy.

Tony

PS I see now how to add a correct link, thanks