Looking in to making Edges ??????

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

homeland

Looking in to making Edges ??????

Post by homeland »

I thinking about starting to make edges for ski's and snowboards
There so hard to get a good suppler that im thing of making my own for me and for sale if any one has some info or can be any help let me now
thanks
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hi homeland,

I did a little research a couple of years ago into making edges, for the same reasons that you indicate.

It would be possible to make edges in a smaller shop set-up, but it would be pretty labor, machine, and energy intensive. So the best alternative plan I came up with was to contact a company that makes tines for leaf rakes. There are numerous companies like this in the U.S., and at least 3 or 4 in California. The steel that is used in rake tines is almost identical that that used in ski edges, and the manufacturing and heat treatment process is also very similar. The biggest expense in having ski edges made is in the custom 'tooling', or the dies that actually shape and punch the steel as it's being processed. I was considering making the tooling myself, and then providing it to the manufacturing company. I've done things like that before when I had parts made for custom bicycle frames.

Yes, it is a real pain in the arse dealing with our present options for ski edges (except skibuilders.com of course!). I've done a boatload of research and what I have come up with is that there are only two manufacturers of ski edges in the entire world, both in Europe. I've spoken with both of them regarding bulk purchases, but shipping is very expensive and unpredictable. It just seems so crazy that we can't get edges made in the U.S., or at least somewhere in North America. Maybe we could get a group of builders together to share the cost of the tooling. I have a big order into one of the two current U.S. ski edge suppliers, and I have been given a lead time on shipment, but who knows when I'll really get any edges.

Glad you started this thread,

G-man
homeland

Post by homeland »

what i had in mind was making a tool to feed stock steel throw and grinding or cut shape. and then punch the steel with a press. for heat treatment i would just send the steel out there are 1,000 shop around me that do heat treating.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Grinding or cutting would be a tough way to go. Grinding wheels wear down so the desired shape is tough to maintain, and gutting tools get dull on longer runs. Plus there's a lot of material waist (and mess) with both methods. I think a better way to make a ski edge of to buy the steel as a wire stock on a roll, heat it up to a point where it is somewhat malleable, and run it trough a series of shaping dies to get the right profile. Then punch it and heat treat it. Heat treating of this type of steel involves heating to red hot, quench, then reheating in an oven to about 700 F, then a slow cool-down... or something pretty close to that. Yes, you could make your own by grinding or cutting, but it would be really time consuming, and we're only talking a 4 dollar part here... when we can get 'em. I could certainly be wrong, so keep the brain-storming going.

G-man
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

how about casting an edge out of epoxy with metal powder and carbon fiber strands? Just trying to think outside the box.

Why does the edge material have to be steel?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

you think a carbon layup type edge would have the pliability and resilience that carbon tempered steel does?
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

JB Weld!!!
Doug
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

haha, why not make the whole board out of jb weld...hell, it might be even perfect to build a press frame ;)
dennyblaine

G-man is right

Post by dennyblaine »

G-man is right the way to go with making edges would be to buy steel as wire stock on a roll, heat it up to a point where it is somewhat malleable, and run it trough a series of shaping dies to get the right profile. Then punch it and heat treat it. the punching would be done on a wheel press and would be on the same processng run as the shaping dies. i happen to know a certified stamp carrying prefessional engineer that could draw the thing up if you guys are serious about putting together a co-operative to make edges!!!!

Thing is you are talking about a bit of money. A heating process in line with something like three dies, a press, and a feeder tool. I also agree with the idea of sending the resulting edges out for heat treating. the edges can be packaged on a spool for transport and woudl not require a large heat treat facility to accomdate teh process so it would be relatively cheap compared to building your own heat treat process.

So draw up the limited partnership and lets get going!!!! If ten people toss in $5000 each we could be making edges in a couple months.
heliski989

Cold rolled?

Post by heliski989 »

Guys just my $0.02. I think you would be creating problems by heating the steel wire. You should use a cold roller and have a hell of a lot of pressure. Hot rolled will create a flaky skin that will be tough to remove.
snowshine

Post by snowshine »

$5000 each Haa, For 5k you better have a few spools coming.

HR would definately be an issue with the scale, not sure if the heat treat would do much to remedy this. CR is the key. Its to bad the US has shipped out most of our tooling. About ten years ago my town still had the tooling for this type of project, now one shop may still have the possibilities, Im not sure how much of the old forging equipment they bought.
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

snowshine
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:57 am Post subject:
$5000 each Haa, For 5k you better have a few spools coming.

HR would definately be an issue with the scale, not sure if the heat treat would do much to remedy this. CR is the key. Its to bad the US has shipped out most of our tooling. About ten years ago my town still had the tooling for this type of project, now one shop may still have the possibilities, Im not sure how much of the old forging equipment they bought.
Way to bring this thing from the Depths...