Base ginders/belt grinders/stone grinders DIY

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

My grinders drums are perfectly cylindrical.

But my bandsaw's pulleys aren't!
redbull

Post by redbull »

Anyone familiar with pneumatic sanding drums? I just discovered them.

Can also just buy the drums:
http://www.gosale.com/4359144/delta-31- ... -pneumatic
http://grizzly.com/products/G1972

I would have to say these look like a great option. Here's a guy who made his own sander: http://www.happywoodworking.com/Pneumat ... ander.html

I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to find silicon carbide "sleeves," but sure you could get them from those custom belt places. Might just take a few trails to get the right length/diameter for a tight fit. I wonder if the manufactured sleeves meant for these drums are specially reinforced because of the pressurized drums? Please share any experience you may have with pneumatic drum sanders.

Do you think with the addition of a coolant pump, we would be able to keep the generated heat low enough? Or would it be good to go with 2 drums (longer belt)?
redbull

Post by redbull »

... maybe not the best. I guess they're more intended for sanding contours. I thought you could really pump them up. The ones I've seen only go up to about 15psi. Wouldn't be too good for base grinding... detune your whole edge.
carnold

Post by carnold »

Hi. As I promised a while back. This machine has an adjustable table that moves up and down and then the table slides under the belt which is pressed onto the board (or wood) with a hand held pad.
with the board inverted and supported on blocks to straighten the camber and clamped in place.
Here's the board under the belt with the pad that is used to force the belt onto the board.
This works OK with fresh belts and brusing with a brass wire brush after to remove the fluffy bits of UHMWPE that remain. Belt is 150 wide so needs a bit of practice to get the base perfect. Once the main area is done I use a hand held belt sander to complete the tip and tail.
Chris
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

check this out.
Wonder what they charge for this. Just need a motor basically.
http://www.kalamazooind.com/products/be ... nder-head/
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

My concern with sanding on a drum would be if you stop for a second (and it is likely you will) the drum will sand its pattern into the base. Can be done but need to use caution. I'd hate to ruin a board at the end of the process.
ra
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

MontuckyMadman wrote:check this out.
Wonder what they charge for this. Just need a motor basically.
http://www.kalamazooind.com/products/be ... nder-head/
Yeah all you need is a motor and a coolant system (filter, pump, sprayer). Nice find, curious how much they cost.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

The price for a S8 sander head is $3,195. If you have any further questions you may contact us

Rock, I don't follow. The shop grinder grinds right on a contact wheel, not a separate flat surface.
How would it grind a pattern in? If you stall the belt?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

6" belt barely big enough.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alliston-Ski-base-e ... 20b48c3e61

hey tom what is this relic you are using?
Last edited by MontuckyMadman on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That ebay one looks pretty good! What's the other side of the motor for, a stone?

(also the guy in your photo above looks JUST like me, weird)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

yeah a stone.
Thats idris in the pic.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

I will be building a base grinder using 'used' stones from a large computerized montana machine. Apparently once they are worn to a point they cant be used in the machine, however if it was built differently they would get more life out of them.

Ill be sure to post up pics as we move along
EricW

Post by EricW »

I was bidding on that Allister base grinder. Someone came in 10 sec before the end of the auction and outbid me. I was so enraged I had to leave the house. Really felt like a low blow.

I think I'll just custom build one now. I have a good friend that sells components for stuff just like it and I can make it exactly how I want.
sammer

Post by sammer »

EricW wrote: Someone came in 10 sec before the end of the auction and outbid me.
That happens all the time.
Drives me batty.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

EricW wrote:I was so enraged I had to leave the house. Really felt like a low blow.
You guys must be new to Ebay? That's basically how it always works.

If you want to build one from scratch, make sure you look at existing models to get an idea of how you should build it. Most are built very similar, and there's no need to re-invent the wheel so-to-speak. If you try to get clever you might spend a lot of money and time on something that won't work :(