base material

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

iski4fr33

base material

Post by iski4fr33 »

where is a good place online or within an hour from breckenridge colorado to get the right kind of base material? Also correct me if i am wrong UMWPE is the right stuff

i found Crown plastics so now i want to know which type should i use should i use the Durasurf ETA or which of their products is best suited for ski bases? thanks again
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Check the SkiBuilders store.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

crown will sell you partial rolls from drops they have left from bigger runs

I got a 50m roll of abraided 4001 uhmwpe in that ignorant green for a few hundred last year

-Jacob
grace ski

base material

Post by grace ski »

I am looking into this as well (in Denver) I have made a few contacts and might piggy back on their orders. Follow my blog or shoot me an email so I can get at you when i know.

http://weskigrace.blogspot.com/

David
Davidwliechty@gmail.com

good luck
pixlejm

Thickness of Durasurf UHMWPE

Post by pixlejm »

What are the thicknesses you guys/ gals use? What is the standard or any suggestions before I place an order with Crown?
grace ski

Base material

Post by grace ski »

The base material will be related to your edges. One can always grind down the base a little if it is high. So error on the high side (+ or_ .25mm give or take) if you need to. Determine the edge profile you want. We have a 2mm edge, some use 2.5mm. Our base material is in the 1.3mm range. We got some end roll stuff from crown. Talk to Jim (jimh@crownplastics.com) and he can send you the extra inventory update list. Work off that to save some $$.

277c Lt. blue 1.3mm x 320mm x 51m is what we are using now

hit me at davidwliechty@skigrace.com or
davidwliechty@gmail.com

Later
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

FYI, give yourself a loooong leadtime. Takes Jim's estimate and 5 weeks.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

holy crap 5 weeks? I got my roll of base within a two weeks last year.

HOWEVER

i just ordered a bunch of material for sidewalls.. about 5 hours ago, which i need yeasterday, hope your 5 week thing doesnt come true..

-Jacob
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

If you are getting your sidewall milled, be prepared to wait until a big order comes in before they do yours. This is the winter so it might be so bad.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

I just bought some drops, so may be ill be lucky
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

It took me about 4 months to get my 40 yard order of ptex this summer. I emailed Jim daily and it didnt help! Its a joke
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Jay from Crown informed me that they're working on a new website to launch in the next month/two month timeframe which will include an up-to-date list of drops and short rolls. He was saying that once this site was up the orders would ship within a week. Stay tuned...As long as it's not the "a week or so" which has turned into 5-7weeks for both of my orders.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

That would be great news! Although their time lines seem to be skewed so we are probably realistically looking at 3-4 months before its ready! :D
team08

Post by team08 »

Guys, cut them some slack on the timelines! We are VERY lucky that they even deal with quantities that we ask for. Even as a small company I am very thankful that Jim will help me out and get things going as quickly as possible. When you get hit with a long lead time, it is likely that their large customers (Mervin, Never Summer, China, Burton before this year...) placed a big order. It is not as easy as pulling your roll of the shelf either, they are nice enough to treat the material right before it goes out.

Right now I am sure the big boys are up Crown's butt for SIA, requesting new colors and whatnot.

This is different than ordering from Amazon or Newegg... they could very well just say that the small orders eat up their time and no longer serve us. The only thing you should bug them about it getting into the sublimateable topsheet market because Isosport is the company that really SUCKS!!!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

i for one am not looking forward to their new small guy friendly site, as i'm anticipating a price hike for these "second" materials!!! i bet it goes up to about $5/meter or more.
Doug