Neversummer craftsmanship

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

prospectsnow

Neversummer craftsmanship

Post by prospectsnow »

Neversummer's tip and tail sections have a really clean look. What do you guys think they do to get the look. Best pic I could find was by a company they build for called status.

The black line is VDS?

http://statussnow.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=10
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

I have taken a tour of the never summer factory and watched them build boards. I can tell you they do layups the same way most of us do it. They do have a cnc sander to profile their cores with the ptex already attached but other then that there was really nothing special. I am pretty sure I posted pics on here if you search never summer tour.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

COsurfer: I'm curious, does the Ptex after sanding go through the flame treatment process before layup? I've been experimenting with a handful of plastics....
falls

Post by falls »

Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
mattman

Post by mattman »

I just took the Burton tour and they also use CNC sanding. However when I mentioned treating the plastics before layup, they looked at me like a was unhinged. The most interesting things in the tour was that they do the core in two passes on the sander. The first pass gets it close, then they place it on an automated caliper table which measures the core and rewrites the g-code for the next pass. Pretty sweet.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

everything in the NS boards does fit well. I own a Evo R and a friend has an SL-R, we both compare what we make to the NS lineup
falls

Post by falls »

don't think those vids actually showed tip sanding, sorry. however, there were scantily clad ladies so its not a total loss I guess...
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Hey Kam, I didn't see them do any flame treating and they made no mention of it. We weren't allowed in the wood shop but I doubt they would be doing flame treating in the wood shop. We toured all of the stations and no mention of a flame treat. Interesting?!
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

Are the edges sanded at more than a right angle at the edge or rounded off at the graphic layer? The look is really clean.

I've seen those vids a few times. Seems like having the sidewalls attached would be a hassle although it is the perfect height every time. It sounds like most people that have tried use a bladed planer rather than a sander. Maybe a planer then the sander is only the last few passes? Or can a sander remove that much material?
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
falls

Post by falls »

a big vertical belt sander can take off big amounts of material.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

COsurfer wrote:Hey Kam, I didn't see them do any flame treating and they made no mention of it.
This is very interesting to me. I've been experimenting again in my lab (my home ski lab that is) with different plastics with some interesting results. So are they using UHMW for the sidewalls then?
COsurfer wrote:We weren't allowed in the wood shop but I doubt they would be doing flame treating in the wood shop.
What do you mean? ;)
COsurfer wrote:We toured all of the stations and no mention of a flame treat. Interesting?!

Again, this is very interesting. I keep getting conflicting information. But thanks for the info.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

The black layer is vds or epoxy or CF. They're rounding the tips in the sidewall router or some variation.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Hey Kam, Here is a pic of their core I took at the factory:
COsurfer wrote:
We weren't allowed in the wood shop but I doubt they would be doing flame treating in the wood shop.
What do you mean?
Neversummer has a wood shop in their factory. During the tour we were not allowed into the wood shop. I assume for safety.
They might be doing flame treating before the layup I just didn’t see it. They glue the cores together with the Ptex sidewalls and then resaw them into slabs so the ptex is already part of the core at that point.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Awesome pics! I feel great now :D
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

what are those diagonal lines coming out from the insert pack area? kerf marks?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.