Power not reaching

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I just tape the ends of the tc to the cassette. I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but this works for me so far.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=XC_K_TC_WIRE
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
JukeSnowboarding

Post by JukeSnowboarding »

hrmm ok. The one he had was a K type, but the heat sensing end is like a screw head. I thought they were separated by ends so I guess not. I guess i have to look for one like you.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Brazen wrote:I just tape the ends of the tc to the cassette. I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but this works for me so far.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=XC_K_TC_WIRE
That link is just to thermocouple wire. You still need a thermocouple. Brazen, you're not just using tc wire, right? If so, I would be very surprised if you were getting accurate temp readings.

The 5SRTC Series are the ones you want. You also need to get the female plug, and then the thermocouple wire to wire the plug to your pid.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref= ... Nav=tema02
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Nah, those are just the ends that attach to the pid, the other end is just those two wires, attached together by what I assume is silver soder. I posted the wrong link haha duh :)
JukeSnowboarding

Looking quickly before class, I would need to get 5SRTC-GG-J/K-20-36? Which would only be the male head of the TC and the wire?
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Hey Juke, if I had it to do over again, rather than attaching the ends directly to the PID, I would buy the plug ends with the receptacles. It's a quicker change when you're running.
JukeSnowboarding

What type of wire is everyone using inside their heat controller? Like gauge, and also if it changes throughout.

Like in the photos on happymonkey wiki. I am asking because the wire connecting to the female TC is a bitch.

So knowing the commonly used wire type would be helpful.

Thanks a lot
JukeSnowboarding

Well trying it out again I still have the same problem as in the beginning. The PID powers up fine but the blanket is receiving nothing. And this is with the above suggested TCs connected.

It is started to become mind boggling. Maybe the wire type used in the connections is the problem?
vinman

Post by vinman »

If I recall I used 10g wire for Most of the main wiring. There was some smaller stuff that connects the ssr to the pid. But anything that handles the main power needs to be heavy wire.

Are your fuses good? Is the switch wired correctly?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
JukeSnowboarding

I assume the fuses are still good cause they are new. And for the switched I believe it is correct because power reaches the PID, which is past the switch.

The PID powers up but nothing happens to the blanket. Does it take a long time for the blanket to heat up using the PID? Because plugging in into the wall its heats up super quickly.
vinman

Post by vinman »

No it should heat just as fast with the PID. If you are confident in your wiring then it would seem you have a bad PID. Bring your controller to an electrician and have them test the continuity of all your wiring circuits or do it yourself if you know how. If that checks out then I'd say bad PID.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
artski

Post by artski »

I would definitely check the fuses. You can never assume they are good.

don't ask me how I know