Sidecut idea

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Ben

Sidecut idea

Post by Ben »

Greetings,
First to the guys who made this site- many thanks for your hard work and generosity. Before I visited this site my goal was to make at least two pairs of skis for next season and im sure that it will now happen. I had an idea the other day and was wondering if anybody has any experience with it. For a tele setup have the apex of the sidecut of the inside ski at the front binding; and the outside skis apex in the middle of the foot. Being from the east coast a lot of my focus goes into carving. Though it remains to be seen how my skills serve me at my new job at a mountin in CO.
Thanks,
Ben
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

that is exactly what scotty bob skis is doing.
http://www.scottybob.com

They are very nice carving skis for groomers.

k
Greg

Post by Greg »

Another Idea I have heard works well for carving is a wavy edge like they use on the some of the Lib Tech Magne-Traction line of snowboards. I was going to try and experiment with this once I get a few pairs of boards under my belt. www.lib-tech.com
Ben

Thanks guys

Post by Ben »

Do you think the weavy sidecut is just a fancy way of saying that the sidecut progresivley gets shorter? I have heard that is one of the new trends and I was also curious as to how that would affect skis. the scotybob is patented as I learned when I was in their shop (very nice people) so I was hoping to see if anyone had sone it on a regular looking ski.
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

I was talking to an owner of a local shop who was raving about his Lib tech skis. As we are getting ready to start pressing a few skis. I thought I would resurrect this old thread on similar design ideas.

Has anyone experimented with the “serrated” edge idea yet? Lib tech seems to be the only ones out there doing this so far. Other than the challenge of bending of the edges do any other construction complications stand out?

How about the radically differing edge radius (similar to the Scotty-bob’s)? Any experiences to share?

I am going to press traditional shape first, if that goes well I will then begin experimenting with nontraditional shapes. That is if we ever get any snow…
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Lib invented magnetraction.

Currently the following brands use magnetraction (non lib are all licensed from mervin):

Roxy, Lib, Gnu, Rossignol, Smokin, and Burton!

Salomon is producing some interesting boards with three straight lines for a sidecut.

Burtons version looks like it might actually work better than libs (at least in theory). They don't market it at all though, and I wonder if they only have it to satisfy a few of their pro riders?

Ski shape patents are total bullshit. build whatever you want.