Edges

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skiernick

Edges

Post by skiernick »

Hi Guys,
I'm just getting to the setup process and was wondering how to cut the edge at the top of your ski?

Thanks
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Edge material is very very hard, so you need to heat it up with a torch before you cut it.

or not.................
G-man

Post by G-man »

A standard cut-off wheel on a dremel tool works just fine. No heating necessary... just safety glasses and a respirator mask.

G-man
thetradwoodboat

Post by thetradwoodboat »

i rest the edge material on a metal surface to back it up, then use a sharp cold chisel with a good hammer blow. then snap the edge off .

nate
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I was being sarcastic , again.

It seems obvious to me that people are posting questions without even taking any time to read through the site.

And, quite frankly if you can't figure out how to cut a steel edge, how in the world could you possibly build a press or a board?

As mentioned a die or side grinder with a cutoff disk works well. Or you could use any saw with a metal blade.

Hacksaw, skilsaw, table saw, chop saw, sawzall, cut off saw, anything with a metal blade.

I will stop answering stupid questions sarcastically, if that's what y'all want. But don't you get sick of the stupid questions?

It would be great if some of these noobs would read through the old threads and then bump some to the top if they have questions. Just my .02$

Is epoxy waterproof?
How do I cut a metal edge?
Will 6oz glass work?
Has anyone tried a honeycomb core?
on and on and on
jono

Post by jono »

I think many new forum visitors are overwhelmed by the growing number of threads and the sheer amount of things you need to learn in order to make your first pair of skis. I also think skibuilding discussions require a precise understanding of language. This is hard for people that are not native English speakers. I can't imagine learning to build skis if everything was in French.
As the forum evolves it is harder and harder to ask novel questions. It is good to search before asking but sometimes you just have to ask.
Having lurked on this forum since its inception I find it easy to tune out the questions that answer themselves, after a few seconds of thought, and to focus on the more interesting queries/discussions.
I don't see a problem with the occasional sarcastic post. But I do think it is important to preserve the helpful and informative environment that we have all benefited from here at skibuilders.com. Thankfully the really lame threads recede into oblivion pretty quickly around here.

As to cutting edges, I use a hacksaw first and a belt sander to trim the edge to the correct length. The pmgear video on this TGR thread http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthre ... gear+video
shows them using a cutoff wheel to trim the edges for a perfect fit at the front/top of the ski.
hansonc

Post by hansonc »

jono wrote:I think many new forum visitors are overwhelmed by the growing number of threads and the sheer amount of things you need to learn in order to make your first pair of skis.
I've been thinking about this for a while. Has anyone thought about starting a wiki with all of the obvious stuff so the forum can be more about discussion of specifics and for coming up with best practices that can then be added to the wiki?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Linesman pliers work just fine.
ra
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

yea those, theres a few different shears that work good. then use dremel to get to the fine tuning, or an air line spinny dremel like thing.
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

shit, my home boards i did the edges with hacksaws and files , once u get the initial cut lined up it goes right through it
Doug