MEI Heat Blankets

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

doughboyshredder

MEI Heat Blankets

Post by doughboyshredder »

Got quotes from 4 companies. MEI was BY FAR the lowest price. 2 blankets on the way. Stoked.

MEI (Michaels Enterprise)
SRP

Post by SRP »

Great to hear. I am just getting ready to order a couple from them myself. I was told if there where 5 or more the same size we could start getting a discount. I am looking at getting two approx. 15" X 85" , anyone else need one about that size. I am somewhat flexable on the size. Doughboyshredder what size did you get?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Just curious : how much would it be for a 15" x 85" ?
Thanks
doughboyshredder

I got 13"x72" 240volt.

I had 15"x80" quoted and the increase in price was surprising.

Sorry, I don't want to say what my pricing was, just that MEI was much cheaper than Heatcon and Brisk.
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

hey doughboy im ordering 2 blankets from MEI as well.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

can someone enlighten a lamen on how this all work. Do I need a $450 controler? Thermostat?
I need a thermocouple or it will go up to 550 F right?
What can I use simply and cheaply.
I tried to get a quote but I am slightly stoopid and am having trouble wrapping my brain around how all this works.
I got a quote for over 250 just for the pad.
doughboyshredder

Basics of it are as follows.

You have your heat blanket which is basically a coil of resistance wire with each end sticking out of the blanket applying voltage to the blanket will cause it to heat up (basically because you are shorting the wire). In order to control the temperature you need a few things.

First off you will need a thermocouple. This is a temperature sensor that tells your heat controller what temperature it is reading. (not the temp of the blanket, the temp of the material that the thermocouple is mounted).

The heat controller is programmable for a specific temperature. The heat controller has an output (different depending on controller) that you use to control the coil on an adequately rated relay / contactor that actually transfers voltage to the blanket. The heat controller will then cycle the voltage to the blanket to maintain the programmed temperature.

You can use a single zone or dual zone controller. A dual zone controller allows you to control each blanket independently, but also requires an additional relay.

You do not need to spend 450.00 for a full blown controller, if you are willing to get the parts and pieces yourself.

Get Stoopid! Enjoy: http://www.archive.org/details/ss2006-02-10.sbd.flac16
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

MontuckyMadman wrote:can someone enlighten a lamen on how this all work. Do I need a $450 controler? Thermostat?
I need a thermocouple or it will go up to 550 F right?
What can I use simply and cheaply.
I tried to get a quote but I am slightly stoopid and am having trouble wrapping my brain around how all this works.
I got a quote for over 250 just for the pad.
Did you read the article about heated ski presses on this great web site?

I bought stuff on eBay to assemble my ski press temperature controls:
PID temperature controller ($40)
25 amp solid state relay ($10) with heat sink
Thermocouple ($5) beaded wire, type K
Corcom power entry module ($15) switch, fuses, filter
and a small Metal Enclosure ($20)

About a hundred bucks total cost.

My MEI heater blanket has a built-in thermocouple, but I don't use it. Taping a thermocouple directly to the aluminum mold plate yields better control response.

Hope this helps...

-S
Last edited by SHIF on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

Shif,

are you running just one blanket off that system.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

bobbyrobie wrote:Shif,

are you running just one blanket off that system.
I have a "single ski" press. To make a pair of skis takes two sessions.

My heater is 6" wide and 78" long. My aluminum sheet is 7" wide.

The heater is 1200 watts. It can "rail" the output and not pop the 8 amp slo-blo fuses I'm using. The systems ramps up really fast and does not over-shoot more than a degree or two. The "autotune" sequence does a good job setting the PID parameters.

The system maintains temperature at 190 degrees with minimal "on" duty, perhaps one second every ten.

If I were buying a wider heater for a dual-ski press, I think 1200 watts is sufficient.

-S
Last edited by SHIF on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I have read the article before but makes more sense after you dumbed it down. tahnx.

I really don't know that I will be tackling any electrical engineering projects any time soon.

I do know some kids in school for this.

Well if anyone gets the itch to build another one of these magic boxes maybe I will pony up the cash for that and a michaels blanket.
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

are you able to run 2 heater blankets from one PID controller?
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

you can control 2 heat blankets with one pid. perfectly... ;) i have the same, but for that you need 1 relay and one contactor to do the thing... mine work perfect
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

Hugo do you have a wiring diagram for your dual blanket setup?
billl

2 blankets from 1 pid

Post by billl »

it depends what you mean by controlling 2 blankets... If you mean 2 small identical blankets used to cover the entire bottom (or top) surface of your ski, then as long as you're confident that the temperature is somewhat uniform across the 2 blankets you should be fine.

If you mean controlling top and bottom heaters with a single controller then you may get surprises as the temperature and thermal inertia characteristics will be different under and over the ski (read: depending where you get your temperature measurement from you will get overshoot or undershoot on one of your blankets)