lateral stiffness- powder skis

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Calrin

lateral stiffness- powder skis

Post by Calrin »

I am currently working on a design for a pair of rockered, reverse camber powder skis and thinking about what composites i will be using for them. I was wondering if anyone had any input about how a decrease in lateral stiffness would affect the ski, considering that it will only be used in soft snow and rarely on groomers.
camhard

Post by camhard »

rockered and reverse camber?? interesting. just kidding; they are two slightly different things. it's pretty confusing though i guess as so many people think they mean different things.

Im guessing it would make them a lot less enjoyable. even though they will only be used in powder, you still need some support and energy transfer.

why do you ask? did you find a composite that looks really good, but will reduce torsional stiffness, or are you thinking of reducing it on purpose to achieve some effect?

on your first ski, especially when making something that will behave so differently to anything you have experienced, i would keep the variables (i.e. changes from the norm) to a minimum. this way, it will be easier to isolate the issue with your design or process. if you reinvent the wheel, and it happens to not work out, it will likely be very difficult to determine what caused the failure, unless you have tons of experience on many, many different skis and really know what slight differences result in a given feel.

im not entirely sure, so i would probably try and ski two production skis with significantly different torsional stiffness (it might be pretty hard to find these, especially ones that are otherwise similar), or hope someone else knows more than me, which is quite possible/likely.