binding placement on spatula hybrid

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

scklandl

binding placement on spatula hybrid

Post by scklandl »

Im in process of making a pair of teleski's for a friend. trying to figure out binding placement so I can put in inserts. souple of questions:

a. Poplar is way to soft to simply screw the bindings down right?

if that's the case I need to put in inserts but where? Or is there an option that I can use to be able to screw into poplar? Ive read about people putting in screen material or lamiating in a metal plate?

b. This is an unconventional shape, part: spatula, part: normal, so it has a very long tip and a very short effective edge, which screws up the whole BOC over COC reccomendations Ive found here for binding mounting.

any suggestions? Are there conventions for how you mount bindings on a spatula style tele ski?

thanks guys!
jono

Post by jono »

scklandi,
Poplar is not always too soft for screws, even tele screws. I use a layer of Al window screen in the binding areas of my skis. You could also rout out a bindings area in your core and fill with 4-5mm of maple or oak.
The kind of inserts used in the how to section require pretty exact placement of the core. It would be easier to use threaded inserts that you screw into the ski from the top after you have pressed them. This way you will be able to put them exactly where you need them. There might be a tradeoff in strength but it is better to have them in the right place.
I'm not an expert but my impression is that you want the boot center or the ball of your foot over the widest part of the ski on a spatula type of ski. If you have a mini section of the ski with a traditional sidecut then you would center the boot on that. Where you put these points on the ski is up to you or your friend. I would start with a proven design and then try variations on that in subsequent skis.
Good Luck!
scklandl

Post by scklandl »

start with a proven design?

too late for that!! No going back now, besides, proven designs arn't really all that "proven". I see the limitations on the spat and traditional powder skis and have really dialed in my concept with my snowboards. What are skis after all but two snowboards clumsily attached to ankle "iron Maidens" ;)

Thanks Jono, we'll press 'em out and do some light turns and figure out the right spot and then drop in some heli coils and when those pull through we'll just put some inserts through the base.
plywood

Post by plywood »

i`ve got absolutely no experience with poplar...

but why don`t you build a testsection? just take a piece of poplar wood, screw in a screw and try to pull it out and you`ll get a feeling of how much it`s going to hold.

or just build the skis as planned, mount the binding, if it holds it`s great, otherwise use those screw-in-inserts jono described. this is a well known method for repairing binding pull outs...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!