MDF Bottom Mold building by CNC

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

MDF Bottom Mold building by CNC

Post by falls »

Ok. Planning some new full length non adjustable MDF molds. Multiple identical slices bolted together. Slices cut on CNC router.
Questions:
Anyone see any pros/cons of using 25mm MDF over 18mm MDF in terms of machining accuracy.
(I think I can get enough slices on 2 sheets of 25mm instead of 3 sheets of 18mm, which I think (?) will save machining time and therefore save money, even when extra money for thick MDF is taken into account).
The guy with the CNC I don't think fully appreciates how perfect I want each piece to be. Any thoughts on depth of each pass and how many passes you would think for cutting 18/25mm MDF.
Probably cut with 1/4" bit, the machine is pretty good I think with a proper variable speed spindle.
thanks
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I built my last set of tip/tail molds using 1" (25mm) MDF and it was ways easier ! I cut the pieces manually though so that's where I saved a lot of time. I don't see any problem in your case.

One thing I've found though is my tip/til blocks (all of them, not just the last ones) are splitting : I don't know if it's the right expression in english but basically cracks appear on those molds and it's the MDF itself, not the bond, which is cracking. If I can think about it I'll take pics tonight.
For my next set of tip/tail mold I'll try to make a solid block of MDF, glueing pieces of MDF horizontaly, roughly the shape of the tip/tail mold and then bring that to my CNC guy (which I still have to find since I moved :p) so he will machine the block directly.
It might save some machine time, save some material (less waste as I just have to cut rectangular pieces of MDF of different sizes) and it should also be less subject to splitting as when in use I only compress both my MDF pieces and my glue joints, no shear !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

ben, i'm having the same problem...i just filled the cracks with polyurethane glue as much as possible. doesn't seem to affect the end results so far, but i'm also thinking about making molds the way you describe.
Raccoon

Post by Raccoon »

I build my bottom and top mold with 3/4" thick MDF. cut in 1 pass on the CNC router, 18000 rpm spindle, 600in/min working speed, 1/2 router bit.

Julien
www.evasionkiteboards.com
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

The guy that cuts mine does it in 2 passes, the first offset 1/16" from the finished shape then on the second pass he takes a cleaning pass trimming 1/16" to the final shape. Im using 19mm mdf by the way.
~ Matt
sir.orange

Post by sir.orange »

i did my moulds in 38mm mdf, we machined it in 3 or 4 passes. the router (8-10mm i forgot)wasn t too sharp, what resulted in a little bending of the router where hitting the material, 0,05mm, not a lot, but noticable.

1/4" router and 25mm mdf - at least 5 passes!? and slow feed rates 1-2 meter/min.
i would be scared by a 1/4" router for a 25mm material anyway
sir.orange

Post by sir.orange »

i did my moulds in 38mm mdf, we machined it in 3 or 4 passes. the router (8-10mm i forgot)wasn t too sharp, what resulted in a little bending of the router where hitting the material, 0,05mm, not a lot, but noticable.

1/4" router and 25mm mdf - at least 5 passes!? and slow feed rates 1-2 meter/min.
i would be scared by a 1/4" router for a 25mm material anyway
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Raccoon must have a beast machine. Mines not rigid enough to take that depth at that speed. Congrats :)
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".