spray paint

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

JukeSnowboarding

spray paint

Post by JukeSnowboarding »

I know it has to be hidden somewhere, but I could not find and answer on the usage of spray paint on the underside of a clear top sheet. Some threads proposed the idea but strayed off without any answers.

So my friend wants to be able to spray paint her own graphics onto the top sheet and I was wondering if anyone has had success doing this. And if so, did they use a certain type of spray paint or sealing process?

Again sorry if this is posted somewhere right in front of me just couldn't find a conclusive answer with search.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

epoxy based and acrylic paints seem to work well. always do some test pieces though!
falls

Post by falls »

I spray painted the top side of a piece of clear ptex the other day to see whether it would stick well (to add some graphics to a finished pair of plain black skis with clear topsheet).
The paint stuck but peeled very easily. This side was not abraded or flamed. The paint was an enamel (pretty standard for spray cans I think).
I have done some test layups on the abraded side with brush painted enamel paints and the bond was not very good.

Possibly you could spray onto a wood veneer and put this under a topsheet?
Otherwise research how to get other paints types into a spray can.
I don't think enamel paints are very good in a layup.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....