Silk Screen/ Screen Printing guide - The cheap and dirty way

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

IainUK

Post by IainUK »

Any update on how it went?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

It went pretty good actually :
viewtopic.php?t=1348&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75 (bottom half of page)

First try was white logo (Nazdar ink) with black pigmented epoxy. Result was OK but you could see the fiberglass weave a little bit and I didn't like working with black epoxy (the dye added an "oily" feeling to the resin)

Second attempt was white logo (Nazdar ink) + black background (screenprinted Nazdar ink as well), I used regular epoxy and loved the result : very opaque colors, ease of use of the regular epoxy.

Only thing I would change is the topsheet material itself : I used Duraclear from Crown, it's quite thick (1mm or so) for a topsheet material so it make my skis slightly heavier but more important it's not 100% clear. My opaque black turned out dark blue. Not a big deal as the result is still sweet but it's not the color I expected. I'm on the search again for some other topsheet material, more slim and more clear.

Screenprinting is definitively nice, lots of possibilities even if like me you just limit yourself to 2 colors. I'm already thinking of my next screens and how to make more "elaborated" designs.
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
VBLL

Post by VBLL »

which nazdar ink products did you exactly use? because there's so much different products and i dont want to have delam problems.

thank you